UNITAS is designed to train forces to conduct joint maritime operations through the execution of anti-surface, anti-submarine, anti-air, amphibious and electronic warfare operations that enhance warfighting proficiency and increase interoperability among participating naval and marine forces.
UNITAS develops and sustains relationships that improve the capacity of our reemerging and enduring maritime partners to achieve common objectives. Additionally, the military-to-military exchanges foster friendly, mutual cooperation and understanding among participating navies and marine corps.
UNITAS LXIII includes scenarios addressing electronic warfare, anti-air warfare and air defense, anti-surface warfare, live fire, maritime interdiction, littoral operations and amphibious operations.
UNITAS LXIII consists of two concurrent phases: at-sea and amphibious. The maritime domain includes the littorals which incorporates not only the ocean, but also the area inland from the shore that can be supported and defended directly from the sea. The majority of the amphibious training will take place at areas along the coast where marines and naval infantry will train in support of greater naval operations. The amphibious phase will consist of a landing from naval vessels.
Belize, Brazil, Cameroon, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Guyana, Jamaica, Mexico, Namibia, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, South Korea, Spain, United Kingdom, Uruguay, and the United States.
Participating U.S. Forces
- USS Lassen (DDG 82)
- USS Mesa Verde (LPD 19)
- USS Albany (SSN 753)
- Commander, Amphibious Squadron Eight (COMPHIBRON 8)
- Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 22 (HSC 22)
- Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 70 Detachment 2 (HSM 70 Det 2)
- Patrol Squadron Sixteen (VP-16)
- Special Boat Team 22 (SBT 22)
- Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit (MDSU) Det 2
- Seal Platoon from Seal Team 8
- USCG Pacific Area Tactical Law Enforcement Team (PAC AREA TACLET)
- Commander, Destroyer Squadron 40, (COMDESRON 40)
- Fleet Surgical Team (FST) 8
- 25th Marine Regiment
- 3d Battalion 25th Marine Regiment
- 3d Force Reconnaissance Company, 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Company (4th LAR)
- 4th Combat Engineer Battalion (4th CEB)
- 6th Engineer Support Battalion (6th ESB)
- 4th Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO)
- 4th Civil Affairs Group (4th CAG)
- Marine Aircraft Group 49 (MAG-49)
- U.S Marine Corps Forces South (MARFORSOUTH),
- U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command / U.S. 4th Fleet
UNITAS, which is Latin for “unity,” was conceived in 1959, first executed in 1960 and has been held every year since. UNITAS LXIII is the 63rd iteration of the world’s longest-running annual multinational maritime exercise.